What To Eat And Drink Before Running in 2021
Thinking about what you should eat and drink before running?
Well, we’ve got you!
In this article, we’ll be sharing with you recommended food and drinks to intake before running, so you can guarantee your body will be in its best shape on the move.
Ready to fuel your body with the right food and drinks? Let’s begin!
Why Should You Eat And Drink Right Before Running?
Did you know that fuelling your body with the right food and drink can help you move the extra mile while running?
As a runner, whether you’re just a beginner (or already an expert), eating and drinking before running can:
- Prevent you from experiencing fatigue (like suffering from hypoglycemia)
- Improve your running performance
- Build your body’s glycogen
- Boost your blood sugar
Thus, it results in increasing your mileage when running!
What Should You Eat Before Running?
One thing you should always remember when choosing food to eat before running, you must bear in mind that an ideal snack is something easy to digest.
You should eat food that is rich in carbohydrates, as these help in breaking down glucose which is the main energy source of your body while you’re on the run.
Once your body has broken down the carbohydrates and has broken it down into glucose, this then circulates in your bloodstream which is then used by your body as a source of energy (or stored in your muscle or liver readily available).
It’s also good to intake food that is rich in protein as this can also help give your body more power while you’re on the run.
Here are some of the recommended food intake you can eat before going out on a run:
- Toasted bread (you can add some avocado or even nut butter)
- Cheese sticks mixed with carrots
- Oatmeal with some berries
- Whole wheat bread with some turkey
- Banana with some almond butter
Pro Tip: If you want, you can also take in some energy gels and bars. But, it’s still best for you to have some real food like the ones we mentioned above.
What Is The Best Time To Eat?
The best time for you to eat would be around two hours before you go and start running.
Although if you’ve eaten a heavy meal, it might be best for you to wait out at least four hours before running to avoid experiencing any stomach discomfort while on the move.
But if you only took light snacks, waiting out for at least 30 minutes before running would suffice.
What Should You Drink Before Running?
Now that we’re done talking about what you should eat before a run, it’s time to talk about what you should drink before going on the move.
It’s highly recommended that you drink at least 16oz of water, about two hours before you start running. This will guarantee that your body is hydrated well before you begin strenuous exercise.
Aside from that, it’s also best if you take in a sports drink before running, as this contains the perfect mix of water, electrolytes, and sugar which will help give you a boost before you run for a certain period.
Pro Tip: Don’t just worry about what to drink before the run as you also need to consider what you should drink during the run. We highly recommend that you keep a water bottle while you’re on the move and fill it up with water or a sports drink to guarantee you stay hydrated in between your runs.
Why Should I Keep My Body Hydrated While Running?
The main reason why you should maintain your hydration while running is to ensure your health and performance is kept top of the line.
When you drink water or sports drink, you:
- Regulate your body temperature
- Remove your body waste
- Bring energy to your cells
- Cushion your joints
- Improve your recovery
- Minimize your injury and cramping
- Maximize your performance
Take note that when you run, you sweat. And when you sweat, you lose a lot of electrolytes and water in your body which might lead you to experience dehydration.
And that’s something we don’t want for you. The last thing we want to happen is for your running performance to deteriorate.
Here are some tips you can apply to ensure you keep your body hydrated:
- Drink water the entire day to ensure you replenish your fluids
- Sip from your water bottle from time to time
- Eat fruits as this is a source of water, electrolytes, and fiber all at the same time
- If you notice your urine is turning yellow, start drinking lots of water. This could be a sign your body is not hydrated enough.
- Avoid drinking alcohol as this can dehydrate your body, and lead to poor performance.
When Should I Drink Fluids?
Here are some of the best times of the day for you to hydrate your body:
- Drink 16oz of water about two hours before you run.
- Drink 6-8oz of water about 15 minutes before you run.
- Drink water at regular intervals while you’re in the middle of a run. Ideally, you should take 16oz of water every 15 minutes. You can also take in some sports gels if you want to.
- After running, drink at least 16oz of water. This will ensure you rehydrate yourself properly after a long tiring run.
Eating right and hydrating your body regularly is a must when you’re a runner. This is to ensure your body gets the best fuel and electrolytes to keep it strong and active in the middle of runs.
Keep this as a part of your routine, and guarantee yourself optimal performance while on the move!
Are you looking for more health and wellness tips? Check us out here for more!
For more check out our Instagram @askrunners